Principal Maritime Civil Engineer
- Newcastle (UK)
About Royal HaskoningDHV:
Royal HaskoningDHV has been connecting people for 140 years. Together, through our expertise and passion, we have helped contribute to a better society and improved people’s lives with work underpinned by our sustainable values and goals. We are an independent international engineering and project management consultancy leading the way in sustainable development and innovation.
Royal HaskoningDHV is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences. We recognise that embracing diversity unlocks innovation and creativity and fosters collaboration. We want our employees to reflect the diversity of our communities and the customers we serve.
About Our M&A Business Line:
We have two business streams under our M&A business line, Maritime and Aviation. Within our business we provide expert and specialist consultancy services across the globe. We pride ourselves on our blend of digital application and deep domain knowledge. Our fully integrated, multidisciplinary approach means we can deliver all the expertise a project requires, from master planning to create new port or airport facilities to detailed design and to optimising existing facilities.
Principal Maritime Civil Engineer
A little background
on our Maritime Team
Royal HaskoningDHV are at the forefront of innovative maritime planning, design and development and our teams of multi-disciplinary experts have assisted our international clientele to create successful ports, shipyards and maritime infrastructure worldwide. We have provided expert commercial, technical and operational advice for a wide-range of maritime projects.
You’ll be part of the Newcastle Maritime Team led by our Associate Director. The Newcastle-upon-Tyne team is part of the Maritime UK Advisory Group, in 5 of our UK offices. Across the globe, Royal HaskoningDHV has 6000 colleagues in 75 offices in more than 30 countries.
- The role will require you to use your technical and practical experience to develop engineering design solutions for maritime civil engineering structures in ports and shipyards, using steel, concrete, timber and other materials to relevant design codes.
- You will have engineering input in all project stages from inception, through design and construction, to demolition, recycling and reuse.
- Your technical and commercial experience, and liaison with multi-disciplinary teams will be vital to the success of the projects you work on.
- Prepare designs and analysis for maritime and associated structures for ports and shipyards
- Collect and collate design data
- Carry out inspections and surveys
- Produce design calculations, check and review calculations produced by others.
- Check and review models and drawings prior to issue.
- Provide guidance to more junior staff including project managers, engineers, graduates, technicians and admin staff working on your projects.
- Prepare Bills of Quantities, Contract Documents and Specifications.
- Undertake structural analyses and reporting.
- Give presentations to client organisations and internal audiences.
- Provide engineering judgment and advice;
- Review (or prepare) study reports to a high standard of written English.
- Provide commercial awareness of projects to deliver profitable results within programme by setting and agreeing expectations and achieving on time delivery.
- Act as Project Manager for small and medium sized projects, or Technical Manager on large/complex projects.
- Contribute to local, national and international business development efforts through the production of proposals and interaction with clients. Participate in the development of new and existing client bases.
Required skills and experience:
- Analytical Ability – lead design and analysis work with limited support
- Conceptual Ability – capable of undertaking design from concept to ready for construction.
- Communication Skills – clearly articulate orally and in writing the reasons behind your decisions. Show confidence in presenting to team members, clients and stakeholders.
- Client Orientation – maintain a professional client- facing approach.
- Problem Solving – think laterally and develop solutions to problems with others and on your own.
- Relationship Building – build a network within the immediate team, and the wider organization as a trusted advisor to our clients.
- Solution Orientation – deliver project objectives without losing focus in the detail.
- Organised – show organisation, discipline and a structured, consistent approach in the way you work.
- Personable – approachable, relatable and empathetic.
- Demonstrate experience in the development of shipyard infrastructure, such as dry docks, floating docks or shiplifts.
- Demonstrate commitment to training of junior staff e.g. as DE or SCE within an ICE training scheme
What we can offer you:
Ambitious. Exciting. Lively. Collaborative. Dynamic. That’s how our colleagues describe our company. Want to contribute to enhancing society with your expertise? Be part of an open network where you’re connected with the brightest and smartest people and technologies? Join us!
You can look forward to growing your career in a dynamic workplace with development opportunities and support on your career path. We have flexible working models to ensure a balance of family and working life