Maritime Civil Engineer
Maritime Civil Engineer
About Royal HaskoningDHV
Royal HaskoningDHV has been connecting people for 140 years. Together, through our expertise and passion, we have helped contribute to a better society and improved people’s lives with work underpinned by our sustainable values and goals. We are an independent international engineering and project management consultancy leading the way in sustainable development and innovation.
Royal HaskoningDHV is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences. We recognise that embracing diversity unlocks innovation and creativity and fosters collaboration. We want our employees to reflect the diversity of our communities and the customers we serve.
A little background on our Maritime Team
Royal HaskoningDHV are at the forefront of innovative maritime planning, design and development and our teams of multi-disciplinary experts have assisted our international clientele to create successful ports and maritime infrastructure worldwide. We have provided expert commercial, technical and operational advice and created master plans across the five continents for a wide-range of port projects.
We are one of the largest and most experienced teams of port planning professionals globally and we are world leaders in the production of port feasibility studies and master plans.
You’ll be part of the Edinburgh Maritime Team led by our Associate Director. The Edinburgh office is part of a larger UK maritime team across 5 UK office.
The role will require you to use your technical training and practical experience to contribute to the development of engineering design solutions for maritime civil engineering structures and elements in steel, concrete, timber and other materials to relevant design codes. You will have engineering input in all project stages from inception, through design and construction, to demolition, recycling and reuse.
Your experience in a project management capacity is important in role as you’ll be the technical expert in a particular area. As civil engineer you have no direct reports. Your informal leadership is vital to the success of the projects you work on.
- Prepare designs and analysis for maritime and associated structures, from initial concepts through to detailed designs, including;
- Collect and collate design data
- Carry out inspections and surveys
- Produce design calculations, check and review calculations produced by others.
- Produce outline models, drawings and details for CAD (in Revit environment if you can but detailed drafting/modelling by modellers), check and review these prior to issue.
- Prepare draft Bills of Quantities, Contract Documents and Specifications.
- Prepare reports and presentations.
- Undertake structural analyses and reporting.
- Provide engineering judgment and advice; contribute to preparation of study reports.
- You need to develop commercial and technical awareness of projects within the office and will assist the project managers to deliver profitable results within programme by setting and agreeing expectations and achieving on time delivery.
- You might act as Project Manager on a range of low to medium complexity projects within agreed financial constraints principally relating to the fields of maritime structures.
- You’ll also contribute to the development of the client base within the Edinburgh office through the production of proposals and interaction with clients. Participate in the development of new and existing client bases within Scotland.
What we feel is the required skills and experience:
- Analytical Ability – ability to undertake design and analysis work with support from senior engineers for complex tasks.
- Communication Skills – can clearly articulate orally and in writing the reasons behind your decisions. Confident, presenting to team members, clients and stakeholders.
- Client Orientation – understands the importance of the client’s perception of the organization. Maintains a professional client- facing approach.
- Conceptual Ability – Is capable of undertaking design from concept to ready for construction.
- Problem Solving – can think laterally and develop solutions to problems with others and on your own.
- Relationship Building – builds a network within the immediate team, and the wider organization and can be a trusted advisor to our clients.
- Solution Orientation – can deliver the project objective without losing focus in the detail
- Organised and Structured – The way we work requires structured data storage to ensure we can extract information from our projects and archives.needs to be organised, disciplined, structured and consistent in the way you work.
- Personable – approachable, relatable and empathetic
- Civil or Structural Engineering Degree (or equivalent)
- Background in Maritime structures
- Based in Edinburgh and willing to work in locations throughout UK and occasionally oversea
- Chartered Engineer or approaching Chartered status
What we can offer you
Ambitious. Exciting. Lively. Collaborative. Dynamic. That’s how our colleagues describe our company. Want to contribute to enhancing society with your expertise? Be part of an open network where you’re connected with the brightest and smartest people and technologies? Join us!
You can look forward to growing your career in a dynamic workplace with development opportunities and support on your career path. We have flexible working models to ensure a balance of family and working life