Our clients are facing some major challenges:
- Most public authorities are or will be facing severe budgets cuts. Their property is heavily affected. There is still a large untapped potential for improvement by defining the optimal long term real estate portfolio, resulting in interesting financial gains. Therefore, there is more than ever a need for having a strategic vision on the effective use of property assets.
- On-going downsizing of real estate portfolios to find the right balance between a good quality of service delivery to the public and cost-effectiveness.
- New ways of working are increasingly being implemented by public authorities, leading to a more effective usage of buildings in terms of service and space.
- On-going outsourcing of services by public authorities, mainly building maintenance activities. Models like main-contracting and managing agent are becoming more important ways to manage buildings in a more cost-effective and professional way.
- High office vacancy rates are requiring new innovative hands-on approaches to identify new types of occupants. However, some buildings will have to be demolished.
- Flexibility has become a key consideration in real estate of public authorities, flexibility in the workplace, flexibility in function and use.
- Sustainability is a major challenge for public authorities. They are supposed to give the right example in adhering to stringent national as well as EU legislation.
- Energy Service Companies (ESCo's) are gaining importance in realising sustainability targets. They constitute a very efficient and effective way of greening of property by using market expertise and experience combined with external funding.
Royal HaskoningDHV advise central government as well as regional and local authorities in organising their real estate more professionally. We integrate technical, financial, legal and project management expertise and skills for all types of buildings: offices, schools, theatres, museums and embassies. Special attention is paid to include state-of-the-art notions on sustainability with all its ramifications: energy reduction, renewable energy and the use of materials. Furthermore, we are leading in implementing innovative contracting.