Since designing the UK's first purpose-built container terminal in 1967, Royal HaskoningDHV has become the global leader in container terminal design and planning, working in over 100 countries on assignments ranging from small-scale developments to international mega-hub ports.
Automation in the industry is making major strides all over the world as container terminals aim for more efficient operation and higher productivity. More and more container terminals are adopting automated solutions to meet the challenge of larger ships, taller cranes and bigger call sizes.
Our international success is founded on our deep understanding of our clients’ business drivers and their need for proactive expert support and advice. We understand the competing demands within both the shipping and stevedoring industries and the overall supply chain. Our response is to deliver consistently high quality, cost effective and robust solutions on time and in-country as required.
Our clients include the top global terminal operators with repeat commissions undertaken worldwide. Our services cover the full spectrum of activities from market analysis and terminal operations evaluation through to planning, detailed engineering design, construction supervision on-site and project management.
On recent terminal automation projects we have worked as infrastructure designers alongside providers of terminal automation systems, to integrate robust solutions for the civil, mechanical and electrical works with the demands of the equipment and IT systems to be installed. We use state-of-the-art software such as FlexSim, SHIPMA, TERMSIM, AutoCAD Civil 3D, Vehicle Tracking, ArcGIS and BIM technology to complement our in-house purpose built software to provide our clients with the best available service.
Our expertise includes:
- Terminal and regional traffic forecasting
- Terminal layout plans and planning consent (permitting)
- Terminal automation
- Discrete-event simulation for container terminal operations
- Vessel manoeuvring fast-time simulation
- Static and dynamic mooring analysis
- Specification and selection of container handling equipment and quay furniture
- Planning and supervision of dredging and reclamation
- Design of quay foundations and structure
- Above and below water inspections and rehabilitation design
- Design of terminal facilities and topside infrastructure
- Terminal gate, yard and rail yard planning and civil design
- Mechanical and electrical design, including cold ironing
- Planning of navigation channels and design of navigation aids
- Technical, safety and security appraisal
- Environmental impact assessment
- Independent checking engineer
- Lenders technical advisor
- Technical and commercial due diligence
- Supervision and project management of implementation