LNG terminals often comprise special tanks, ships and even buildings in port infrastructure and operations. Royal HaskoningDHV has extensive experience of all marine works associated with the design of such port facilities, which may be used exclusively to export and import LNG or form part of larger port complexes.
We have been responsible for assisting in the planning, design or construction supervision of more than 50 LNG terminals, and many more that have not yet reached construction/operation stage, since 1999.
- overriding guiding principle of Safety First, in design and during operations
- importance of minimising delays, due to the large investments and operating cost involved
- important role that Standards and Quality Assurance / Quality Control play in light of Classification Society and LNG Industry requirements
- influence of capital costs of different elements (e.g. maritime civil engineering, process, landside infrastructure)fundamental necessity of Health, Safety, Security & Environment (HSSE) issues in all aspects and phases of the project and
- accountability and traceability through Project Administration and Document Control.
These differences also apply to “small scale LNG” – an area in which the market is showing increasing interest. LNG is now used more frequently as fuel for ships and is also more often transported in smaller cargo ships and to smaller import/receiving facilities. Parcel size can now be as small as the volume of an ISO container filled with LNG.
As these LNG containers can be shipped on normal container ships, our container terminal expertise is very valuable in developing facilities in which operations meet the specific requirements for the handling of dangerous cargoes and specifically LNG.
At Royal HaskoningDHV, we can help you assess options and possibilities for the whole LNG transport and value chain, from large to small-scale LNG projects. Where LNG bunkering and its facilities are involved, we can also make use of our Society for Gas and Marine Fuel (SGMF) membership as well as the expertise and connections this provides.
Our expertise includes:
- Site location studies;
- Terminal development plans and feasibility studies;
- Terminal traffic forecasting and logistics analysis;
- Terminal and jetty design;
- Outline design of product handling systems;
- Shipping and Navigation studies;
- Combined LPG-LNG jetties planning;
- Environmental and Social Impact Assessment;
- Foundation engineering;
- Mechanical & Electrical services;
- Fire fighting design;
- Quay wall design;
- Mooring design;
- Breakwaters and coastal structures design;
- Cooling/Heating Water Intakes and Outfalls Design;
- Dredging design;
- Engineering [Pre-FEED and FEED Studies];
- LNG tank Design;
- Technical Appraisal/Review