The province of South Holland has strong ambitions on reducing their carbon footprint and needs tools to monitor and influence the carbon footprint in projects.
Preceding this project we calculated – in general - the baseline of the carbon emissions in projects, based on the design manual of the client. The next step is to implement this baseline in projects, influence the carbon footprint (in the different phases) during the development of the project and finally make tangible whether the client is reaching the intended goals for lowering the carbon footprint within the province in 2025.
The bookkeeping system was discussed with the client, to sharpen the approach, starting points and implementation in the organisation. Besides the designing of the bookkeeping system, we also gave attention to an even more important part of the project; engaging the employees of the province and making sure they will use the system.
The result of the project is a calculation tool where the development of the carbon footprint can be followed and calculated during the evolvement of the project.
This calculation is divided in four phases:
- The estimated carbon footprint the project would have had when built in 2015 (this is the base year). This calculation is essential because the targets for 2025 are set in comparison to 2015 (lowering the carbon footprint with 25% from 2015 to 2025).
- The carbon footprint of the final design.
- The carbon footprint of the construction design by the contractor for the executor of the project.
- The actual carbon footprint of the project when executed (monitoring).
- The client decided to implement the use of the carbon footprint calculation tool. Together with the client we monitor whether this implementation is ‘working’ or not. And we see a reference to the carbon bookkeeping system in new projects (design and construction).
- LocationSouth Holland, Netherlands
- WastewaterTo provide tools to monitor and influence the carbon footprint in project in South Holland.
- Project typeThe result of the project is a calculation tool where the development of the carbon footprint can be followed and calculated during the evolvement of the project.