Royal HaskoningDHV was selected as the Employer’s Quality Representative to oversee the marine works.
The challengeCreating this groundbreaking city expansion involves many diverse activities. The main construction elements are:
- Land reclamation (c. 270 ha)
- Offshore Breakwater structure (c. 3250m length)
- Edge revetments, quays and seawalls
- Artificial beaches
- Submerged groyne
- Inner breakwater structure
- Submerged sand barrier structures
- Basic Marine Infrastructure (basin, quays, revetments)
- Sheltered Lagoon (Inner water area and canal)
The challenge was to ensure that each element was well designed and inspected at every step to achieve the overall project objectives.
The solutionRoyal HaskoningDHV was selected as the Employer’s Quality Representative (EQR). The responsibilities of this role include carrying out design reviews of the reclamation works.
Royal HaskoningDHV performed design reviews of the shallow quay walls, breakwater structures and revetments plus the marine infrastructure works.
A particular emphasis was placed on the adequacy of the design parameters and data and confirming the technical specifications of the various design packages.
Royal HaskoningDHV also delivered technical supervision, flagging quality issues on site during the construction and ensuring these were addressed. The EQR role was completed at the end of 2020 and the project continues its positive progress.
- ClientCHEC Port City Colombo
- LocationSri Lanka
- Acting as Employers Quality Representative for the marine aspects of the Colombo Port City Development Project.
- ServicesDesign reviews of reclamation works.