Royal HaskoningDHV approached this investigation in two phases:
Phase 1 – A long list of potential locations was compiled and assessed, based on existing information and a preliminary data assessment, as well as a site visit. The locations were ranked using multi-criteria analysis (MCA) which resulted in a shortlist of sites that would be examined further.
Phase 2 – The shortlisted sites were subjected to a more in-depth examination, again based on existing data only. This examination focused on the following topics:
- Existing power generation and infrastructure
- Influence of future (regional) developments
- Inland waterway transportation assessment
- Review of wave climate
- Dredging, reclamation and ground improvement
- Social and environmental setting
- General construction schedule
- Cost estimates
- General contracting strategy
Three months after start of the investigations, the client was presented with a full report (including site visit and transportation reports) and a soft copy version including all relevant data. The report was submitted within the agreed budget and generated excellent feedback from the client.