Integrated definitive design provides the most innovative and sustainable football stadium in the Netherlands
Reduced energy consumption through optimised geometry and natural ventilation
Rainwater storage for irrigating the stadium field and surrounding greenery
Future-proof building with customisable spaces and modular elements
Among the most sustainable soccer stadiums in the world
The project presented a complex challenge. It combines a dramatic architectural vision with the ambition to be the most sustainable stadium in the Netherlands, delivered within budget. To meet the sustainability ambition, we organised working sessions with all stakeholders to identify integrated opportunities and design solutions on the themes of energy, a healthy and inspiring environment, and circularity. This led to a comprehensive set of sustainability measures adopted by all building disciplines, which included:
- Significantly reduced steel requirement by using parametric design;
- Reduced energy consumption through optimised geometry and natural ventilation;
- Energy positive building – one which produces more energy than it uses - with PV panels on the roof and smart controls inside;
- Rainwater storage for irrigating the stadium field and surrounding greenery;
- Future-proof building with customisable spaces and modular elements;
- Active sports and games elements in the concourse to encourage movement and healthy lifestyles.
Our design team, in collaboration with the client and stakeholders, ensured the ambitions were incorporated in the design of the new stadium.
The integrated definitive design provides the most innovative and sustainable football stadium in the Netherlands. The new stadium stands out as a multifunctional facility with focus on spectator experience and growth potential for the club, while showcasing sustainable techniques in a unique environment to inspire local residents, national and international visitors.
- ClientDutch soccer club
- LocationThe Netherlands
- PeriodThe most sustainable soccer stadium in the Netherlands
- ChallengeWorking sessions to identify opportunities and design solutions on sustainability themes with a comprehensive set of sustainability measures