Lifou Island in is the largest and most densely populated of the islands in the South Pacific archipelago of New Caledonia. A popular destination for holidaymakers, Lifou Island also experiences a significant amount of traffic from cruise vessels.
Royal HaskoningDHV developed a number of concepts that would help futureproof the client’s facilities on Lifou Island, including:
- Expansion of the existing tender jetty to accommodate an increased number of vessels
- A new jetty designed specifically for the berthing of cruise vessels
- Construction had to be undertaken without the need to undertake any dredging activity
- We had to achieve safe berthing vessels without relying on tugs
- The jetty must be able to withstand earthquakes and tsunamis
- The orientation of the jetty had to be optimised based on local environmental conditions